High Fat Diet Treatment
To place mice on a high fat diet, here is the general protocol:
For C57BL/6J mice, order so that they are 9 weeks of age on the monday of delivery. Start the diet on the Wednesday (10 days later).
For more information about diets see research diets for caloric content in future diets, use metabolizable energy, not physiological fuel value. Metabolizable energy is more accurate as it is derived from bomb calorimetry
|Normal Chow Diet||Lab Diet||5L0D||2.91 kcal/g||5%||24%||3.7%||32%||Provided by ULAM|
|High Fat Diet||Research Diets||D12451||4.73 kcal/g||45%||20%||17%||7%||Pink|
|Control Diet (High Sucrose)||Research Diets||D12450B||3.85 kcal/g||10%||20%||35%||31%||Yellow|
|Control Diet (High Starch)||Research Diets||D12450H||3.85 kcal/g||10%||20%||17%||44%||Peach|
- Start when mice are 10 weeks of age.
- For High Fat Diet mice place in cages 4 mice/cage as early as possible. Can us 5 mice/cage for normal chow/control diets.
- Re-cage (and ear tag mice if necessary) mice and replace food with ~400g food in the container. Record this weight.
- This food should last 2 weeks.
- Weigh mice at ~10 AM either weekly or bi-weekly and re-weigh food to determine food intake. Top up to 400g.
- Generally treatment lasts 12 weeks.